commercial pilot

commercial pilot

Commercial Pilot’s Licence

You will need a Canadian Private Pilot Licence or Foreign equivalent before beginning your Commercial Licence training. Before getting your license, you will require 200 hours of practical flight experience, which includes hours spent during training for other licenses you possess, plus the training obtained for the commercial license. Training can occur on any of our single engine aircraft, I.E. typically a Cessna 152 or Cessna 172.


You need to pass a Class I medical exam

You need a Private Pilot’s Licence

You need to be at least 16 years old for the training

You need to be at least 18 years old to actually get your licence

Ground School

You will have 80 hours of training to pass the required Transport Canada Written exam.

Practical training

Canadian Law dictates a minimum of 35 hours of dual flight training, of which, at least 15 hours will be with instruments. Among these flights, you will have a cross country flight of at least 300 nautical miles, with at least 3 stops.

Obtaining your Licence

You must pass the Transport Canada Commercial Theory exam with a grade of at least 60%. Also note that the theory exam is broken into 4 categories, and you must obtain at least 60% in each one in order to pass. For example, you can’t get 0 in one section, perfect in all the others, and claim victory, given a 75% average. The four sections of the exam will cover General Knowledge, Air Law, Navigation, and Weather. Then, you need to pass a practical exam with a Transport Canada representative, by getting a mark of at least 70%. To validate your license, you require a total of 200 hours of flight, with at least 100 solo hours obtained after your Private Pilot’s licence.


This licence permits you to be the Pilot In Command (PIC) of any single engine aircraft while in VFR day or night conditions. You may carry passengers, share expenses, charge a premium, fly abroad, and possibly go get a high performance aircraft rating.


Learn about our hourly rates for planes, instructors, and available training programs